Saturday

Pipers Unplugged-The Red Hot Chilli Pipers

You'll notice on the bottom of this screen that I posted a video link to a group I found yesterday called the Red Hot Chilli Pipers. I found them when I was doing a search on bagpipes at youtube.com. The videos are all from a stint they did on a British variety show called When Will I Be Famous. Actually the show itself looks neat, every week acts battle it out against each other and a group of 101 pre-registered viewers vote from home. The final two acts compete in a live show and the winner is voted on by viewers at home. And of course they win a bunch of money and their 15+ minutes of fame. It's an amazing act.

Even if bagpipes aren't your thing and you wandered onto my blog looking for information on the Red Hot Chili Peppers, you should check them out! Bagpipes are a tough instrument to play but these guys make it look easy. Accompanied by a guitar and drums they rock out to We Will Rock You...yes, on bagpipes. The band formed in 2005 and is loaded with talent So far it it looks like they just have one CD and you can buy one on ebay or also on Amazon for about $15. And it looks like most of their gigs are in the UK, but hopefully they'll hop the pond and you can find them blasting away at a concert near you.

Their music shows that bagpiping isn't just about the traditionally Scottish or bagpipe music. There are lots of other options too. When I was out performing with my band at our pub crawl on St. Patrick's Day we had one bar play AC/DC's It's a Long Way to the Top (If you Wanna Rock 'n Roll), which features a few bars of bagpipe music in it, a couple of us played along and the crowd went crazy (of course they were pretty crazy already but still!).

A while back I was trying to look around on the Internet for good nontraditional bagpipe music and ran across this list on Wikipedia. I was actually surprised at some of the songs listed because I knew them, but I didn't know that part of the instrumental was bagpipes. I was able to get a bunch of the tunes and particularly liked Dropkick Murphy's Amazing Grace + electric guitar arrangement.

Enjoy the video and Pipe on!

2 comments:

Mommy Sunshine said...

HELLO! I came across your blog while googling for the Red Hot Chili Piper's CD or website - I found both!! WHOO HOO! I absolutely agree with your opinion of them! :)

I saw them perform an impromptu segway on the Today Show(USA) earlier this week, while Al Roker went to the weather, and I was mesmerized by their sounds!!!

They just released their Rock album today!!! I can't find it in the States yet, but hopefully soon!

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, the Red Hot Chili Pipers have about four CDs and some DVDs available on their website. I've seen them live in their home town, which is where I live and they do rock! They really get the crowd going! They are great for all ages too, my mum and dad are huge fans!

 
ss_blog_claim=68f7af64104fe11da76f3d4a6a84c2cd ss_blog_claim=68f7af64104fe11da76f3d4a6a84c2cd