Sunday

Bagpiping Blogs


One of the first things I did when I came up with the idea for this blog was to try to look for other bagpiping blogs. I wanted to make sure there was room out there in cyberspace for Piping Girl.

I searched using search engines and blog networks. I also set up a google blog alert that would e-mail me on a daily basis when blog posts mentioned the bagpipes. I found very few blogs entirely devoted to the bagpipes, but they are out there. So, in the interest of spreading the bagpiping love around, I thought I'd share (in no particular order), what I found:

First up is A Bagpiper’s Journal. It seems like he's played the pipes just a little bit longer then I have. This is a journal of that journey going all the way back to his chanter work. He's taken part in some competitions as well which makes for some interesting reading.

Next is So You Think You Can Pipe. This blog was started this past summer, around the same time as Piping Girl. So You Think You Can Pipe is written by Brian who just started on the chanter this past summer. It will be interesting to see how he does and when he graduates to the pipes.

There is also The Voice. This blog is written for a magazine called The Voice which represents The Eastern United States Pipe Band Association. This blog gets into a lot of good history, mechanical, and academic things relating to the bagpipes. But it's written for anyone to read and understand.

We also have Piper Pride. This blog is written by a professional and very experienced piper.

The Irish Piper’s Blog is written by Tony who is learning to play the Irish (Uilleann) pipes.

Now, don't go off and leave Piping Girl for these other blogs. But think of them as part of the greater virtual bagpiping experienced offered by the Internet. And if you know of any other good bagpiping blogs that I've overlooked, be sure to comment on them below.
Pipe on!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, this is the usual anonymous...
The Piper pride blog is very good and has interesting links as well.
Most musicians have now a MySpace page where they advertise their skills and activities. You should eventually go check there and you'll find more pipers.

Anonymous said...

A few more words from the usual anonymous...
Very nice and inspirational picture, I guess it is Scotland?
You are the only piping girl who runs a blog, congratulations!

Piping Girl said...

Hi anonymous,
I'm glald you enjoyed the blogs. And thanks for reminding me about myspace. I haven't done much with myspace before but maybe it's time I do.

The picture is from Scotland but I just got it from a free pic. site so it's not one I took. I'm afraid all the pictures I took in Scotland were done before I had a digital camera.

Thanks for stopping by again!!

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

I'm glad you found other bagpipe blogs. :D

Great blog, great posts!!! I love your writer's voice.

Hugs, JJ

Piping Girl said...

Thanks for stopping by JJ!

Anonymous said...

I suppose you would not be far away from a lab that can convert your film based pics to digital format. You should find out where you can get this done before your films deteriorate. I know from experience that you cannot sit on them too long.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info! I'm also thinking of starting a blog to publish some of my tunes and doodles, and am going through the same process of trying to see who else is out there blogging about bagpiping.

Great blog... I'll definately be back.

Matt

Anonymous said...

now I among your readers

Tanya said...

I was happy to find your blog-I'm a new piper as well, and will follow your blog-have fun piping!

 
ss_blog_claim=68f7af64104fe11da76f3d4a6a84c2cd ss_blog_claim=68f7af64104fe11da76f3d4a6a84c2cd